If you are unable to download a pdf by left-clicking on the link, please right-click on the link and choose 'Save Link As' or 'Save Target As'.
The east window of Gloucester Cathedral is one of the most important works of medieval glazing in the country. Here we provide a restoration history (L. Seliger, ‘A History of Repairs to the Stained Glass in the Great East Window of Gloucester Cathedral’, MA thesis (University of York, 2001)), and a panel-numbering system for the window.
The CVMA is working towards complete coverage of this complex monument. We provide here the most recent concordance of window-numbering systems, and plans of the lower and upper levels with CVMA window numbers.
We provide here a panel-numbering system for the west window of the cathedral.
The business archives of G. King & Son, Norwich (founded 1927), were purchased by the Norfolk Record Office in 2004 (acc. 2004/53). The same year, other material relating to stained glass from the same company was purchased by the Glaziers’ Trust of the Worshipful Company of Glaziers. This material was deposited on loan with the Society of Antiquaries of London in 2005. The CVMA (GB) is grateful to the Glaziers’ Trust for permission to make the inventory of this material here.
Following the publication of his Catalogue of Netherlandish and North European Roundels in Britain, Cole continued to collect materials on roundels; his archive is now at the University of York. Three documents are made available here: text Cole prepared on further roundels that were not included in the Catalogue, which was ultimately intended for publication; a transcription of the annotations Cole made in his own copy of the Catalogue; and a catalogue of the archive. Neither the text nor the annotations have been edited in any way.
The XXth Colloquium of the Corpus Vitrearum took place in Bristol in July 2000. No transactions were published, although a booklet was produced for the conference, which among other things contains abstracts of the papers given and detailed site notes for the monuments visited in Bristol, Fairford, Gloucester, Great Malvern, Oxford, Tewkesbury and Wells.
The aim of this study is to investigate the phenomenon of severe paint loss from windows of the mid- to late nineteenth century, commonly known as the ‘borax problem’. Focussing on three case study windows made by Hardman & Co. of Birmingham and installed at Sherborne Abbey, Beverley Minster and All Saints’ Church Emscote, the study addresses historical, technical and conservation aspects of severe paint loss.
A. Gilchrist, ‘“The tears wept by our windows”: severe paint loss from stained glass windows of the mid-nineteenth century’, MA thesis (University of York, 2010)
The establishment of the CVMA in Great Britain is described by Mortimer Wheeler in his work The British Academy 1949–1968 (London, 1970), pp. 108–116.
The CVMA (GB) has now ensured that all the medieval glazing of York’s city churches has been recorded. Images and their associated metadata are available via the Picture Archive page. Here you will find a detailed bibliography compiled by Chloe Morgan, together with the tracery-numbering systems used at St Denys, St Martin-le-Grand, St Michael-le-Belfrey, St Olave, and St Saviour.
Ever since it was written, Peter Newton’s doctoral thesis ‘Schools of Glass Painting in the Midlands 1275 – 1430’ has been cited in the literature. The British CVMA is now very pleased to be able to make this work available to all. Since the material is spread across a number of files, we have provided detailed indexes of where to find information on various sites. We are also very grateful to the University of York, which gave permission for the thesis to be made available in this format, and to the following copyright holders, who have allowed their images to be used: the British Library (for fourteen images taken from MS Egerton 3510, and three taken from Add. MS 35211); the estate of Maurice H. Ridgway (for the three images of St Mary’s Hall, Coventry, for images taken by Fred Crossley); and the National Monuments Record (for the four images of St Mary’s Hall, Coventry, taken for the National Buildings record).